Top Questions

Tuition and Fees

For Tuition Fees, please click here to be redirected to the Registrar's website. 


An Electronic Course Fee of $50 per course will be assessed for all Internet courses effective as of the summer session of 2005. The primary use of the fee is to support the cost of developing, maintaining, and supporting electronic learning. Over the past several years, Northwestern has increased electronic offerings significantly. With the support of you, the students, in the implementation of this fee, support will continue to improve for existing and new electronic courses and degree programs. 

Other Fees

• Application Fee $20.00

• Allow an additional $5.00 per credit hour for technology fee above 12 hours.

• Books can be estimated at $75-$100 per course per semester. 

These figures are subject to change without notice!

Available Degree Programs

A complete list of eNSU's online degree programs is available here.

Financial Aid

To establish and maintain eligibility for federal student aid and some other student aid programs you must:

  • Be a regularly admitted student enrolled in a degree program
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or passed an ability to benefit test
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (Federal Student Aid)
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Not owe a refund or repayment on an educational grant
  • Not be in default on an educational loan
  • Agree to use federal student aid funds solely for educational purposes
  • Not have borrowed in excess of annual or aggregate limits on a Title IV student loan

For more information, visit NSU's Financial Aid Office

Career Options & Career Placement

NSU's Counseling and Center Services Center helps students and alumni plan, prepare and promote their careers. The center also partners with local and national employers to bring a variety of internships and jobs to their qualified applicant pool.

Program Description

Descriptions of each program, including the courses included, can be found in the current University Catalog

Course Descriptions

Click here to view current Course Descriptions.

Course Schedules

Click here view the current schedule of classes.


Prospective and Current Online Students

Are these degrees offered completely online -- Will I ever have to come to campus?

You will need to read your syllabus.  Some classes do require you come to campus for midterm & final exams.  Most will allow you to have it proctored at a local University or testing center as well.

What sort of teacher/student interactions are there in these courses?
It varies from course to course - most of the distance delivered courses are taught in Moodle. Tools used include narrated Powerpoint lectures, discussion boards, blogs, webinars, group projects, etc. And of course, the professor is always available via email.
What are Louisiana Transfer Associate Degrees (AALT/ASLT)?

The goal of the Lousiana Transfer Degree is to maximize the transfer of academic credits from two-year technical or community colleges to four-year institutions. The transfer associate degree gives two-year college students the opportunity to complete 60 hours of course work toward a baccalaureate degree before transferring to a public Louisiana university. Students may complete either an Associate of Arts/Louisiana Transfer (AA/LT) degree or an Associate of Science/Louisiana Transfer (AS/LT) degree depending on the baccalaureate program being pursued.

To find out how to take advantage of this program, click here.

Are there online lectures in the courses, or is it mainly reading course content and referring to textbooks?

Yes, both will be used. Most distance courses involve all of that, plus additional activities such as writing term papers , writing essays, or responding to questions posed on discussion boards.

Is financial aid available for online degrees?

Yes.  Financial aid is available just as it would be for any regular degree program.  Visit our financial aid website at http://financialaid.nsula.edu/ for more information.

What do I need to get admitted to NSU? (ACT scores/high school transcript, etc?)

Your admission requirements will vary according to your status.  For a complete listing, please visit http://admissions.nsula.edu/ and choose your admission criteria from the menu on the right of the page.

How do I apply?

Please visit http://ensu.nsula.edu/admission-steps/ for instructions on how to apply for admissions online.

Will my credits transfer to Northwestern from another institution?

Most likely but you will have to visit http://registrar.nsula.edu/transfer-credits-2/ and follow the instructions so your transcripts can be evaluated.

Hours earned at an institution accredited by a regional committee on colleges, or the equivalent, will be accepted at Northwestern. You may view the Louisiana Postsecondary Education Statewide Student Transfer Guide and the Master Course Articulation Matrix online through the following link - http://www.regents.state.la.us/. The articulation matrix furnishes the current course equivalents for Louisiana Colleges and Universities. Please note that the listing of courses through this site is not all inclusive. There will be courses that articulate between campuses that are not indicated on the matrices. Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions, published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), is used as a basis for determining the accreditation status of other institutions. If you have earned credits at a school that is not regionally accredited, you have the option to “test out” of the courses. For this option contact the department of the course(s) for assistance with registering to take a special exam.

For more information about transfer credits, contact the Registrar's Office -- Phone:  318-357-6171, Toll Free: 1-800-807-8849, Email:  registrar@nsula.edu

How do I register for my classes?

To simplify the registration process, we encourage students to connect to NSU Connect through their myNSU account at http://my.nsula.edu.

  • If you have completed less than 30 hours at NSU, you will have an advisement hold on your account.  You will need to call or email your advisor and they will be able to assist you with an "alternate PIN" for registering your classes.
  • If you have over 30 hours at NSU, you may register yourself online at http://my.nsula.edu.
  • Transfer students with more than 30 hours can also register on-line (after speaking with an advisor).
How do I "log-on" to take these classes?

All students receive a user account name and password that enables access to a single sign-on (SSO) environment for all online services. The username format is derived from the following convention:

  first initial + up to 13 characters of last name + last 6 digits of Campus Wide ID (CWID)

  Example: vdemon456789 - Victor Demon with CWID 123456789

  Usernames can be retrieved via: https://my.nsula.edu and click on Forgot Username

Your initial password will be Demons + six digit date of birth - Example: Demons120184. During your first login to myNSU, you will be asked to answer five (5) security questions and set a new password. You will need to remember your security question answers in order to reset a forgotten password. Students will use this new form of identification to access all online services such as myNSU, Moodle, Microsoft Office 365 (email), the wireless network, computer labs, and library databases.

You will not be able to see your classes listed in Moodle until the first day of classes. You can view the Northwestern Academic Calendar to see important dates for the semester.

Where do I buy the textbooks/handbooks for the courses?

Northwestern State University Bookstore is located on the first floor of the Sylvan Friedman Student Union.  Bookstore services are provided by Barnes and Noble, a national bookstore chain which obtained this lease in a competitive bid. Services are provided by Barnes and Noble on the Natchitoches and Shreveport campuses:

When will I know that I am able to enroll in my courses each semester?

College administrative staff and/or academic advisors will inform you (in person, via letter or email, or through Moodle) about enrollment procedures including dates or times that are important.


Adult Learners

What are fast-track classes?

Northwestern offers courses in 8-week sessions during the fall and spring, which allows the student to focus on one or two courses at a time. During the summer, courses are offered in three, five, and six week sessions.  The online course format provide flexibility and convenience for adult learners. 

What is Prior Learning Assessment?

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a process where credit hours may be earned at NSU through an intensive portfolio writing course (IDS 3000) for life, work, or volunteer experience determined to be college level learning.


Non-Credit Programs

Will you receive a certificate of completion after completing a non-credit course?

It depends on the course.  You do receive a certificate of completion after completing any of the online courses offered through Gatlin Education and Education to Go.

Is Financial Aid available to students enrolling in non-credit courses?

No.  But there is Financial assistance available at a low interest rate for online courses offered through Gatlin Education.

How do I register for a non-credit course?

Register by any of the 4 ways listed below or visit http://ece.nsula.edu/assets/PDFs/non-credit/ECEExpressRegistrationForm.pdf



• Mail completed registration form with payment to:

Northwestern State University,
Office of Electronic andContinuing Education
Dodd Hall, Room 100,
Natchitoches, LA 71497

• Telephone: (1-800-376-2422 or 318-357-6355).  Use MasterCard, Visa or American Express.  Call between 7:00 AM-12:00PM, 1:00PM- 4:30 PM(Monday-Thursday) & 8:00AM- 12:00PM (Friday).

• Fax: (318-357-6978). Fax completed form including credit card information.

• Drop by the Office of Electronic and Continuing Education, Dodd Hall, Room 100